Re: Webcam installation on Fedora 64bit version 8 F8 64bit

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 18:51 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I would like to know if someone can advise me how to install a webcam
> under this application. The kernel and files are at the moment,
> vanilla, in the sense of not having auxilliary modules installed.
>
> My webcam has the following  045e:00f7 as manuf and webcam id. (It's
> Microsoft).
>
> I found the gspcav1-20071214 tar file with the drivers for the webcam,
> but now I would appreciate some help in getting it working with pirut,
> ekiga, skype, or  amsn.
>
> Thanks and awaiting some feedback.

Have you ever built code from a tarball before?  It's not hard, but you
do have to know some basics, to wit:

1. Make sure you have the kernel headers installed if you're building a
driver via "yum install kernel-headers".

2. Copy the tarball to a working directory.

3. "cd" to that working directory.

4. Unpack the tarball.  If it ends in just ".tar", then:

	$ tar xf name-of-file.tar

   If it ends in ".tar.gz" or ".tgz", then:

	$ tar xzf name-of-file.tar.gz (or .tgz)

   If it ends in ".bz2", then:

	$ tar xjf name-of-file.tar.bz2

   This should create a subdirectory containing the tarball's contents.

5. "cd" to that subdirectory.

6. Configure the source.  Most commonly, that's done via the command:

	$ ./configure

7. Build the driver:

	$ make

8. If the build is successful, install the driver:

	$ sudo make install
	(enter root's password here)

9. You should be able to "modprobe" the name of the driver (less the
".ko" bit):

	$ sudo modprobe name-of-driver

10. That's it.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -