Re: Cups problem

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:30 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:03 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

this would certainly bring back most of the things we removed...

yum install ffmpeg \
 mjpegtools \
 y4mscaler \
 avidemux \
 akode-extras \
 ffmpeg-libs \
 libquicktime \
 mencoder \
 mjpegtools-libs \
 xine-lib-extras-nonfree \
 kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree

you had a version of kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree and a version of x264
that were old, incompatible and in the way, perhaps they're gone now

Craig

No the problem with 'libx264.so.56' is still here,I cleaned out my '/etc/yum.conf/' exclude= and a lot of FC8 packages where removed from 'package-cleanup --orphans' there are 24 packages in '--orphans' do I have to remove them one by one or what.There are a couple of packages
that I need to keep as there are no updates available.
----
You can delete them 1 by 1 - though it may be that some of them are
important so perhaps you want to list them for us to look over.

Perhaps start a new thread

;-)

Craig

I think I'll stay with this thread craig

'package-cleanup --orphans'

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo package-cleanup --orphans
Setting up yum
xrick-0.0.021212-2.fc5.i386
freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch
krbafs-devel-1.2.2-10.1.i386
gimp-panorama-plugin-2.0-cvs20041208.fc5.bp.i386
flash-plugin-9.0.31.0-release.i386
krbafs-1.2.2-10.1.i386
livna-release-7-2.noarch
gtktalog-1.0.4-7.fc5.i386
RealPlayer-10.0.0.297-20040730.i586
vcdimager-0.7.23-5.fc6.i386
gimp-refocus-it-2.0.0-1.fc5.i386
gimp-greycstoration-0.2.0-1.fc5.i386
kernel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8.i686 <-- keep this
ckermit-8.0.211-5.fc5.i386
bpalogin-2.0.2-1.i386
AdobeReader_enu-7.0.0-1.i386
mudmagic-1.9-1.i386
kalbum-0.8.0-302.1.i586
graveman-0.3.12.5-4.fc7.i386
x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386
yum-plugin-gpgcheck-0.10-1.noarch
openssl097a-0.9.7a-9.i386
xmms-mp3-1.2.10-16.fc5.i386
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr.i386 <-- keep this.
autorun-3.20-1.1.i386
picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386
liblbxutil-1.0.0-2.2.i386
rkhunter-1.2.8-3.fc5.noarch
mplayer-skins-1.8-1.noarch
apcupsd-std-3.10.18-1.i386
gstreamer08-0.8.12-8.fc6.i386
gimp-data-extras-2.0.1-1.1.1.noarch
avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386
[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep gnome-alsamixer
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr.i386
----
I don't have my Fedora 8 system available to me tonight...I shut it down at work

try this....it will probably fail. You can try to remove them one at a
time if they fail using yum remove SOME_PACKAGE but don't say yes to
remove if the list of packages seems wrong because unlike 'rpm -e
SOME_PACKAGE', 'yum remove SOME_PACKAGE' will also remove dependent
packages.

rpm -e \
 xrick-0.0.021212-2.fc5.i386 \
 freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch \
 gimp-panorama-plugin-2.0-cvs20041208.fc5.bp.i386 \
 gtktalog-1.0.4-7.fc5.i386 \
 vcdimager-0.7.23-5.fc6.i386 \
 gimp-refocus-it-2.0.0-1.fc5.i386 \
 gimp-greycstoration-0.2.0-1.fc5.i386 \
 ckermit-8.0.211-5.fc5.i386 \
 kalbum-0.8.0-302.1.i586 \
 x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386 \
 yum-plugin-gpgcheck-0.10-1.noarch \
 openssl097a-0.9.7a-9.i386 \
 xmms-mp3-1.2.10-16.fc5.i386 \
 rkhunter-1.2.8-3.fc5.noarch \
 gstreamer08-0.8.12-8.fc6.i386 \
 avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386

you can probably re-install most of these things after you remove the
old versions

i.e.
rpm -e x264 xmms-mp3
yum install x264 xmms-mp3

also...

Other thoughts...
AdobeReader, RealPlayer are older but still should work though I think
RealPlayer might be linked to old gstreamer...

yum remove RealPlayer might remove gstreamer but that wouldn't be bad,
then you could put new version in like...

yum install gstreamer \
 gstreamer-plugins-good \
 gstreamer-plugins-bad \
 gstreamer-plugins-ugly \
 gstreamer-tools \
 gstreamer-plugins-base

I have no idea what these things are...
bpalogin-2.0.2-1.i386
This is a script to logon to my ISP's server
 mudmagic-1.9-1.i386
Mudmagic is multiuser domain,role playing on a CLI over the net.
 gnome-alsamixer
An audio mixer

The rest, I'd probably keep and not remove

Craig

I don't think I'll delete any thing as at the moment nothing appears to be
going wrong,so I worry about dependencies which are bound to raise their ugly
heads.

I would say that this is the end of this thread wouldn't you Craig.

   david