Re: Cups problem

Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 00:18 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
On Dec 16, 2007 10:43 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 16, 2007 10:38 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 16, 2007 9:54 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:
[snip]

Craig

It downloads 'x264-0-0.10.20070819.lvn8.i386.rpm'

   david

----
sudo rpm -ivh \

http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/8/i386/x264-0-0.10.20070819.lvn8.i386.rpm

it wasn't a 'download' command...it was an install command. It either
installed or failed. I understood your comment to mean that it
installed.

Craig

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -Uvh rpm/x264-0-0.10.20070819.lvn8.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
       package x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386 (which is newer than
x264-0-0.10.20070819.lvn8.i386) is already installed

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep x264
x264-0.0.0-0.3.20061023.fc6.i386
[david@reddwarf ~]$

 david

No wonder your system is screwed up!  You have a mixed bag of left
over packages from older version(s) of Fedora. Do the following and
see how many FC6 packages are still installed on your system:

rpm -qa | grep fc6

Remove all those found and replace with the F8 packages.

Notes:

1. If you have not already done so, update your Livna repository to
point to the F8 directory.

2. Repeat the above for other versions of Fedora, i.e. fc5 and/or  f7.

Kam there are to many FC7 (60+) for me to handle,these must be
left overs from my FC7 - FC8 dvd upgrade.
Redirect the output to a file, e.g. "rpm -qa | grep f7 > f7leftovers".
Do it for fc6 as well. You can use an editor to copy and paste the
unwanted package(s) to a terminal window or learn to use some neat
                         ^
 rpm -e pasted-unwanted-package-name

Just to clarify what I meant.

unix utilities such as sed or awk to operate directly on the file
contents.

 Livna repos have '/$releasever/$basearch' in them
That's good but you need to verify that the URL is valid.

 david
Antti Huhtala brought to my attention an error in the above example.
It should be "rpm -qa | grep fc7 > f7leftovers".  The Fedora packagers
are still using fc in the suffix, even for Fedora 8.

Thank you, Antti.

Additionally, I took a quick peak at the F7 and F8 Everything
repositories. Some fc6 packages are included as part of the F7
distribution. For F8 a mix of fc6 and fc7 packages are also part of
the distribution. What a packaging mess!

Well, David. Please excuse my butting in. It seems that the Fedora
packagers have thrown a spanner into the works. Now, it's nearly
impossible to find and clean up left over packages using just the
distro suffix. Unless rpm or any of the package managers shows a
conflict leave the older package(s) alone.
----
You have given completely worthless and a lack of informed advice.

grep'ing rpm packages for earlier designations does not, repeat does not
necessarily indicate that the package isn't intended to be installed on
the current $releasever.

There is however a method now for finding obsolete packages...

yum -y install yum-utils

package-cleanup --orphans

This information is indeed documented on the Fedora Project Wiki (kudos
to them for making this valuable info available)...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

People who want to help others should be familiar with this page

Craig

Yum-utils was already installed, package-cleanup --orphans cleaned out
some 80 files
Changed SElinux to permissive and believe or not but I can print anything
and my sound is back after losing it during the last upgrade,SElinux-enforcing
seems to be very restrictive.
You said something earlier about reinstalling four files that where dependencies.

  Thanks for all your help Craig    david