Japanese??

     My son came to visit. Of course I put a userid for him on
the guest room computer (set to /sbin/nologin, like all the others
but mine till he arrived; kept shutdown except for occasional
updating, and with no access to the Net, wired nor wireless).

     Waste of effort: he's a permanent resident of Japan, and of
course had to be able to do Japanese stuff, even for instance to
cook, let alone telecommute. He brought his own laptop.

     So I'm wondering : what would I have had to do? Not
uninstall Japanese from the never to be sufficiently accursed
weeds, aka language packs, that sprout ever anew in Firefox.
Obviously.

     If as I think gmail is basically a web app, does that do it
all? (His main if not only email address is there.) Or are there
other things? Would he need all of the OS to run in Japanese? (He
did grow up in this country, and his English is still as good as
anyone's.)

     I don't even know if this is a Fedora question, or a linux
question, or something else. I know two or three words of spoken
Japanese, and he doesn't run linux ...

	Can I even do anything without having to get a special keyboard?
(The present guest room computer is a laptop -- a T30 Thinkpad -- btw.)

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0