Re: Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 14:37 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Simon Slater wrote:
> > 	Hi all,
> >
> > 		Just a question to satisfy my curiosity.  When booting sendmail takes
> > a very long time to start.  This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
> > a new laptop.  I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far.  Done!
> > Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
> > in ... 4 minutes.  The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
> > everything else.  All mail is done through another box.  This is not a
> > problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.
> >
> If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
> natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
> that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
>   an alternative.

	Thanks everyone,
Here's some more info:

/usr/share/doc/yp-tools-2.9/nsswitch.conf has the line
hosts:	nis files dns

/etc/hosts is
127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain	localhost
::1	localhost6.localdomain6	localhost6
192.168.0.6	Acer	Extensa5220
192.168.0.5	Lockie	PII400-786
192.168.0.4	Coral	PII233-384
192.168.0.3	Ipex	PII233-512

and sendmail.mc contains
dnl #
dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback
address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the
loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
dnl #
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
dnl #

I have never changed nsswitch.conf nor sendmail.mc before.  Are these as
they should be?  /etc/hosts is similar for all machines on the network.
Does the loopback line need changing?

--
Regards
Simon