Re: Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

Bob Kinney wrote:
--- John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Kinney wrote:
--- John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Simon Slater wrote:
	Hi all,

		Just a question to satisfy my curiosity.  When booting sendmail takes
a very long time to start.  This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
a new laptop.  I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far.  Done!
Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
in ... 4 minutes.  The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
everything else.  All mail is done through another box.  This is not a
problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.

If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or an alternative.

--

Cheers
John

So in my case, I named the computer "name.localdomain", and updated the
entry
in /etc/hosts for my machine to 127.0.0.1 name.localdomain name localhost.localdomain localhost
where the last 3 items are aliases and thus will work for probably any
program's needs.
except sending mail to other (especially remote) that expect the sender to comply with appropriate RFCs. If, on connecting to your sendmail using telnet, it announces itself as "localhost" then it's broken.

--

Cheers
John

[bob@otis ~]$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 otis.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:51:51
-0600
HELO
501 5.0.0 HELO requires domain address

The point is understood if you are running a public mail service, but I
don't think mine's "broken."

In the context of interacting with public mail services, it is indeed broken, because it does not identify itself properly, and therefore cannot send email to servers that insist on RFC compliance.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait