Re: F8 yum updates failing

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:20:18 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On 16/12/2007, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>         Actually, my standard routine is to do "yum clean all," then
>>         "rpm
>> --rebuilddb," then "updatedb," and only then "yum update" each time.
>
> "updatedb"? It has _nothing_ to do with package management at all. It is
> part of the locate database (package "mlocate").

	Hmm... Some guru told me, more years ago than I can reckon, that
I ought to do it from time to time. This provides a place I go often that
reminds me to. Does it do any harm?? (I'm looking for mlocate; beagle was
set for /home/btth only, and re-indexing takes quite a while. I'll look
in google and a few linux sites.)

>>         I don't know what means "the offending package below
>>         /var/cache/
>> yum"
>
> Then examine the directory structure below /var/cache/yum. For every
> repository there is a "packages" directory, which contains the
> downloaded packages. Partial/corrupted downloads can cause problems. A
> few times before, after initial release packages have been resigned with
> a different key, which invalidated old checksums and caused download
> problems, too.

	Aha. I think I see now. Thanks!

	Unless I goofed royally, all the 'packages' directories, on a
machine I've just done the whole nine yards on, are empty. Nothing to
delete. I trust that's a good thing -- any may not have been true before.

	Incidentally, all the other stuff that "yum remove kdepim" took
is now also re-installed.

	Many many thanks for your help!
Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0