Re: [F8] how to disable system beep

Zacharie Elcor wrote:
Hi all,

Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep disabled at startup.
I already tried :
- System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked "Enable system beep"
- added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)

The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System > Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message "TERM environment variable not set"

Thanks for any help

--
Zacharie

Hi,

You can add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist pcspkr

This will prevent the module from loading at boot time.

To disable the speaker temporarily (untill the next boot) you can just unload the module by:

sudo modprobe -r pcspkr

So using both would solve the problem immediately and perminantly.

Regards,

Wouter