RE: Sendmail or Postfix?

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 12:13 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> Sorry, that was not my intention.  I was looking for a secure,
> trusted, Anti-"all", pop/imap, virtual user/domain and other
> fully-featured system that most IT admins might be using.  I am
> guessing it is sendmail (as you also said, below) and I have been
> using sendmail for a long time, but at this time, I am had problems
> getting the clamav-milter and spamassassin-milter to work thus
> is disabled at this time.
----
sendmail miltering is nice and shouldn't be all that hard to
troubleshoot. It's a little confusing getting it set up (making sure
that the sockets are all pointed to the same file)
----

> >I think sendmail is more widely in use and postfix is generally easier
> >for users to configure. Both have complete methodologies for resisting
>
> But for me, I thought sendmail was damn hard (still do) and yet I have
> more reading to do when it comes to postfix i.e. I have to start at the
> beginning.  I have found links in HowtoForge.com: "Fedora 8 Server Setup:
> LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig" but the "caveat" might be the use of
> ISPConfig which does NOT work with Gnome's GDM - but a temporary solution
> is to use /etc/desktop and KDE. Quite frankly, I am on the verge of ripping
> out ISPConfig and backing out certain changes as I am beginning to suspect
> that it caused other sets of problems, one which setroubleshoot is broke.
> As it is, setroubleshootd and sealert runs @ 95% of CPU individually, sealert
> hangs and zombies when terminated, and with both running takes 100% CPU and
> both do not work anymore.  Reinstalling setroubleshoot will not fix it but
> it did work BEFORE I installed ISPConfig.
>
> Another link I found on HowtoForge.com: "Virtual Users and Domains With
> Postfix, Courier and MySql" and this also looks interesting but hey - I
> have done this with sendmail so I do not see the advantage of this other
> that this is a different and interesting postfix implementation.
----
I tend to not trust walk-through type stuff because it is always done
from a specific point of view and once you start to wander, things break
and you don't know why.

I don't know anything about ISPConfig but I suspect that the reason is
that it isn't all that popular.

Consider, virtualmin...(though it appears that virtualmin supports
CentOS so you may have to lie and tell it you're running CentOS 5.0)
http://www.virtualmin.com
http://www.webmin.com
----

> >intrusion and other nastiness such as relay control, pipelining, etc.
> >Both can easily integrate with other technologies such as spamassassin
> >and clamav but I would generally suggest that you use a 'wrapper'
> >technology such as MailScanner or amavisd-new.
>
> Interesting...
>

> >My personal recommendations are to use postfix, MailScanner
> >(which wraps spamassassin and clamav and calls them when appropriate)...
> >note that if you go this route, use the '4.66-beta' version.
>
> BETA!?!?  Uh, ok. ;)
----
it's not really a beta...it's just his cycle for things and the 4.66
which he still classifies as Beta has fixes for the recent
perl-Mail-Tools (or was it perl-Mime-Tools?) which would break what he
classifies as 'stable'
----

> Do you know of any setup/howto's for setting up Postfix with
> MailScanner/amavisd such as you suggested?
----
The last time I played with amavisd-new, I hated it so I stay with
MailScanner...there is ample info on setup on their web site, including
integration with Postfix (or Sendmail)

http://www.mailscanner.info/

Craig