Re: Anti-spam filters

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:27 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> But the primary emphasis to make SA better is a bayes based learning
> proceedure. You tell the system about its mistakes and it learns.

Unfortunately, the way most users get to play with that, using the /is/
and /isn't/ spam buttons on their mail client, is a mystery how it'll do
the assessing.  I don't think I've seen any declare what information is
programmed into your anti-spam system when you use them.

I wouldn't want to mark several messages that came through a mailing
list as being spam, and have it decide the mailing list is probably
spam, rather than the type of information contained in the message.

Unless I know how a mail client is going to use its is/isn't spam
buttons, I don't use them.  There should be some way for me to configure
my client to take my pressing of the is/isn't spam buttons to mean that
the sender should be blocked, or addressing should be ignored and other
criteria be made use of.

Evolution, for instance, gives no clues in the documentation for what
actually happens when you use its junk mail features.  Another of those
don't look at that man behind the curtain situations.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.