Re: F8 install failure at xinit

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 00:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
I just found a newer bios for my now elderly Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo, and will put that in first & then try it tomorrow when the old fart is a little fresher. Hopefully that will make an offboard /boot partition possible.
where the /boot partition is located should be of little consequence
because the bootloader code needs to be on the first drive's mbr and
grub can locate a /boot partition in any drive at that point.

Because Grub uses the BIOS to access the drive, the boot partition
needs to be on a drive the BIOS can access, and located on the part
of the drive the BIOS can access. This may not be the entire drive,
depending on the BIOS. Originally, BIOS limits were the reason for a
separate /boot partition. There can be other reasons to use one now.

Because Gene has another Linux installation, he may want a second
copy of the boot loader on the new drive, and chainload to it from
the original Grub installation.

Mikkel
I have my main Grub still on F7. It is about time to change that so F8 has the main grub. I have been chainloading F8 since I installed it. Now I will chainload F7 after I get F8 running.

The chainload of another Grub is very nice. It makes every version totally independent.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User