Re: Cups problem

david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

>>> [root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
>>> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
>>> [root@reddwarf ~]#
>>>

>>> yum install system-config-printer
>>>
>>> No package system-config-printer available.
>>> Nothing to do.
>>>
>> ----
>> can't possibly be true...
>>
>> # rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
>> system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
>> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
>>
>> try...
>>
>> yum clean all
>> yum install system-config-printer
>> ----
>>
>>> Root and Roots password do no work.
>>>
>> ----
>> I presume this in reference to logging into cups via firefox and
>> connecting to
>>
>> http://localhost:631
>>
>> root and root's password always work
>>
>> Craig
>>

> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum clean all
> Cleaning up Everything
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum install system-config-printer
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> baseurl=ftp://reddwarf:4skin46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
>
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> failovermethod=priority
> http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/core/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released                                                 26 kB
> 00:00
> http://planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates-released: Damaged
> repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released          100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 914 kB    00:01
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
>
> base                      100% |=========================| 4.3 kB    00:00
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> base                      100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 914 kB    00:01
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package system-config-printer available.

This is a problem.  If you cannot find it, there is something wrong with
your fedora repo configuration.  In fact, it hasn't been called "base"
for a while now.  It should be called "fedora".

When I do updates, yum finds the following:

> atrpms                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> google                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> macromedia                100% |=========================| 1.9 kB    00:00
> dribble                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> adobe-linux-i386          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> updates                   100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
> freshrpms                 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00

yes, I have a few "extra" repositories configured.  But note the
"names".  Why are yours different?

system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8 exists on the original installation
media.  I can find it just by going to the repositories with my web browser.

Here is a URL to it (if you can't find it on your local media):

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386.rpm

Download it using your favorite WWW browser or wget.
(adjust the i386 part to match your architecture requirements if necessary)

install it using rpm.  In fact, I think you can give the URL directly to
rpm and it will download it and install it for you (assuming it needs no
other dependencies).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx