Re: fedora and notebooks?

Jan Brosius wrote:
Hello, I plan to buy a notebook. This is my first notebook. Besides Windows I'd like to install also fedora 8. Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?

Any help appreciated

I have a Thinkpad R40 that works fine under opensuse 10.2; I expect Fedora would work almost equally well.

The touchpad works, including vertical scrolling.
The ultranav (little red joustick thing in the keyboard) works, and has three buttons. Some people swear by them, I have to use too many other computers without one to get used to it. Three buttons is nice though.

The modem works.

The wireless works with the madwifi driver (not included). Some have intel wireless, that works too.

The screen works at 1440x1050. I really really like the screen.

The ethernet port works.

USB works.

Firewire is present, but I haven't tried it.

Mine has no bluetooth.

I hear the T-series have better compatibility with Linux.

I also have an Acer Aspire 3500 series laptop. It's cheap, I don't like it, but everything works (except I don't recall using the modem). Screen is 1280x800 and reflective. I like more depth to the screen, widescreen is not to my taste.

Oh, it's worth test-driving the manufacturer's website too. I have been trying to get drivers and BIOS upgrades from Acer's website. It requires flash, on one series of links I start from acer.com.au followed links and reached a panpac site where I had to choose my country. Australia was not on offer!

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait