Re: fedora and notebooks?

Lamar Owen writes:
: On Thursday 13 December 2007, Jan Brosius wrote:
: > Can anyone tell me if fedora recognizes the touchpad of the notebook. If
: > so does fedora also recognise an additional USB mouse?
:
: I am using a Dell Inspiron 640m right now, and both the touchpad and the
: USB-connected Logitech trackball work great.  The touchpad is too sensitive
: when I touch type too vigorously (I learned touch typing on an old
: Remington-Ran manual typewriter), but otherwise is works perfectly.

I heavily use a Dell Precision M70 Laptop.  The touchpad has several
"advanced" features (compared to my old Dell Inspiron 5000) like
scrolling capability by sliding my finger up and down along the right
side of the pad, and moving to previous pages (for, say, web browsing)
by sliding my finger left and right along the bottom edge.  (This took
a bit of getting used to, but I now wonder how I ever lived w/o it :-)
It all works flawlessly under all the Fedoras and Manrivas for the
past 2.5 years.

The mouse entry in my xorg.conf file is rather involved but that's
the price for the extra functionality.

I took think the pad is a wee bit sensitive to the touch when I'm
banging away at the keyboard.  Sometimes my thumb will brush it and
(at least w/in emacs) the "point" will just to where the cursor sits
and I'm now entering text in the wrong place.  Thank goodness for the
powerful "undo" features of emacs.   Solution: thumbs up!

(I also learned to type on my mom's old Remington, with the green
plastic keys.  What a great old piece of machinery!)

Dean