Re: SELinux enforcing, an external ntfs-3g mount, Samba and Fedora 8

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 20:38 -0700, Craig White wrote:
Thus the concept of 'users' and 'mapping', though intriguing, would be
rather pointless for an NTFS filesystem mounted by ntfs-3g

Nup, I'd say it's just as valid as the user ownership in my ext3 /home
partition.

I could well have three people using a Linux box, and the same three
people using Windows, and wanting to each own their own files, all of
the time, no matter where stored.

However much you wish it, I don't think it would even work for two Windows systems on the same computer.

For starters, Windows expects to be installed to a primary partition. This protects one Windows system from another installed on the same drive.

Whether ntfs-3g can manage that is another matter, but there's
definitely good reasons to want seamless different user ownership across
different file systems.

A problem is whether user "tim" in one context is the same as "tim" in another.

I manage a Windows network. If I log on to a Windows box as summer using a local account (as I commonly do), then Windows creates me a home directory.

If I then log onto the same Windows box using my domain login, also summer, it then creates a new home directory, summer.000.

If I delete the domain account, summer, and then recreate it (I did this on a Windows course), then log on using the domain login, summer, on the same Windows box, it then creates a new home directory, summer.001.

The assumption, the safe one, is that the three accounts are for different people.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait