Re: USB: device not accepting address errors

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to read from my USB flash drive on my Lenovo Thinkpad T61
> and nothing seems to be happening. Here are the entries from my
> /var/log/messages.
>
> tail -f /var/log/messages:
>
> Dec 10 08:26:48 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 18
> Dec 10 08:27:03 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 18, error
> -110
> Dec 10 08:27:03 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 19
> Dec 10 08:27:19 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 19, error
> -110
> Dec 10 08:27:19 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 20
> Dec 10 08:27:29 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 20, error
> -110
> Dec 10 08:27:29 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 21
> Dec 10 08:27:40 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 21, error
> -110
>
> I may mention that there are three USB ports on this laptop and I have attached
> a USB mouse and a USB keyboard to two of them, one on the left and the keyboard
> on the lower of the two right USB ports.

When I have run into this type of error in the past, it was because
the USB device had not initialized properly when plugged in. I am
more used to seeing it with USB powered USB hard drives where the
load of the drive spinning up give the electronics problems. But I
would not expect to see this with a flash drive, unless there were
some heavy loads on the USB bus already, or it was seriously
underpowered.

As an experiment, you could try plugging in the memory drive without
the keyboard and mouse plugged in...

Dumb question - are you plugging the memory drive directly into the
computer, or into the USB port on the keyboard?

Mikkel