Re: USB: device not accepting address errors

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 06:37 -0800, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to read from my USB flash drive on my Lenovo Thinkpad T61
> and nothing seems to be happening. Here are the entries from my
> /var/log/messages.
>
> tail -f /var/log/messages:
>
> Dec 10 08:26:48 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 18
> Dec 10 08:27:03 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 18, error
> -110
> Dec 10 08:27:03 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 19
> Dec 10 08:27:19 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 19, error
> -110
> Dec 10 08:27:19 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 20
> Dec 10 08:27:29 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 20, error
> -110
> Dec 10 08:27:29 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 21
> Dec 10 08:27:40 kharkai kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address 21, error
> -110
>
> I may mention that there are three USB ports on this laptop and I have attached
> a USB mouse and a USB keyboard to two of them, one on the left and the keyboard
> on the lower of the two right USB ports.
>
> I tried lsusb -vvv and attached is what I got.
>
> Any suggestions, please?

There may be more than one problem here.  As of Kernel 2.6.23.8-34.fc7 I
get the following errors:
  21415:Dec 10 12:08:20 whitewave kernel: usb 1-1: device not accepting
address 2, error -71

In kernel 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 I have not seen those errors.  A bug report is
probably appropriate for this message.

The other thing that I notice is in both of the above 2.6.23 based
kernels, newly plugged in USB devices come on line as read only to
non-root users

crw-r--r-- 1 root root 189, 6 2007-12-10 12:20 /dev/bus/usb/001/007

When I boot kernel 2.6.21-6.fc7xen new devices come online as writeable.

Maybe there are options to the usb driver to change this behavior, or
some other method to allocate a device to a particular user.  If you
chmod the device before trying to write to it, it will work.

Nataraj