Re: access ipod files?

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have one of my grandson's iPods plugged into a USB connector and I
> see two icons on my desktop one labeled "Apple iPod Music Player"
> which I can't mount, and a second icon with "Luc & Matt" their XP
> computer name.

The iPod should be mounted automatically.  It will be be in /media,
with the name of the iPod as the directory, if it was successfully
mounted.

> Is there an application that will enable me to access the contents
> of the iPod device?  That is, list the contents or play the music,
> save it and put it on a cd?  Anything useful that might impress them
> when they come home from school.

As mentioned, Amarok can do this, I'm pretty sure.  You can also use
individual tools to achieve this.  Gtkpod is probably the most
comprehensive iPod manager for linux.  But it just manages the iPod,
it doesn't play music nor burn or rip CDs.  Banshee is another tool
similar to Amarok that can read and write the iPod, rip and burn CDs
and help you organize your music collection.

I do know that gtkpod makes it easy to copy your tracks from the iPod
to your hard drive, which is handy for backing them up or for using
them to feed to a CD burner or music player.  You will need to install
some tools to enable mp3/m4a playback, as neither is included in
Fedora proper, due to patent problems.

When you make a mistake, make amends immediately.  It's easier to eat
crow while it's still warm.