Re: FC8/IcedTea Java Plugin/FireFox/R

Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Knute Johnson" <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:>
>
> <snip of my content>
>
>> I have a couple of questions;
>>
>> Do you have compat-libstdc++-33 installed?
>
> Yes.  Relevance?
>
>> Did you do the Xinerama fix?
>
> I don't use Xinerama, but do use TwinView.  Is there something that I am
> missing?
>
>> Why did you take out iced-tea?
>
> The first thing that I checked was to see what dependencies there were
> for IcedTea. There were none, so I removed it, rather than attempting a
> more "kludgy" fix.
>
> So far, I have not noted any missing functionality and I don't do any
> Java development. So until something I need comes up broken, I'll stay
> with this approach.
>
> I have communicated with members of R Core on this. An update will be
> forthcoming to the R Installation and Administration Manual to reflect
> this issue.
>
>> Thanks very much,
>
> Happy to help.

Sorry for replying to my own post here, but a quick follow up, as I had
not seen this referenced in the prior posts.

Peter Dalgaard, of R Core, referenced that he was able to use the
following from the Fedora FAQ:

  http://www.fedorafaq.org/#java

along with the 'sed' xinerama fix. I am a bit more educated on that
issue now...  :-)

There is a Sun bug report here:

The Fedora FAQ entry was apparently just updated in the past few days.

This FAQ entry is also now included in the SVN version of the R Admin manual
along with a reference to the IcedTea issues on F8.

HTH,

Marc