Re: segfault

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 13:29 +1100, Lux Zhang wrote:
> Hi
> there is an error message on my laptop HPnx5000 as
> "hald-addon-acpi[2845]: segfault at 00000ffc eip 00aaf3ec esp bf956ba8
> error 4"
> My system is F7 Linux  2.6.23.8-34.fc7 #1 SMP
>
> What does this error mean or any potential harm?
>
> Yuan

Segfaults are not good.  Typically it means the program attempted to
access memory it did not have permission to access, or in other words,
it crashed into something else in memory.  In this case it was an addon
to hald which is the haldaemon, and the specific add on is the acpi
module, which is part of the power control stuff.  If you have a laptop,
it might be that the particular power setup and bios is not compatible
with the format being sought by linux.  If the sensor is sufficiently
sensitive, it may be generating repeated interrupt service calls and
eventually the interrupt code will furthur interrupt the system,
overflowing the segment allocated to the operating stack.

You will have to check out the sensors and by isolating one bit of code
at a time and seeing if it is fixed.

Regards,
Les H