Re: audio gone since upgrade to F8

Huub wrote:
Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.

as root:

default:CARD=CK8S
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
null
default:CARD=UART
    MPU-401 UART
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through alsa.

Yes, that works but only as root.

I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was in rawhide.
esdctl off

I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to work. I admit I didn't
try very hard. ;-)

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from there. If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if it is
available

yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename"  e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.

Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?

Alsa is happy.  It is finding the card and setting it up properly.
You have a permissions problem. Aplay should work for any user. Is SELinux running in enforcing mode? Somehow the sound setup has been corrupted. I am not sure how to resolve this. Perhaps someone else can help you. You might try searching the list as I saw this exactly problem recently (go to www.gmane.org which archives lists and they
have a search capability)

Good luck.