Re: audio gone since upgrade to F8

On Sunday 09 December 2007 18:14, Huub wrote:
> > Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.
>
> as root:
>
> default:CARD=CK8S
>      NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>      Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>      NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>      Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>      NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>      4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>      NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>      4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>      NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>      5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>      NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>      5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> null
>      Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=UART
>      MPU-401 UART
>      Default Audio Device
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
> IEC958]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> > Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
> > alsa.
>
> Yes, that works but only as root.
>
> > I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
> > in rawhide.
> > esdctl off
> >
> > I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
> > work.  I admit I didn't
> > try very hard. ;-)
> >
> > yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> >
> > If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
> > there.
> > If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
> > it is
> > available
> >
> > yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename"  e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.
>
> Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?

I would seriously suggest removing pulseaudio, as many folks have had problems
with it, including myself, whereas sound was working on previous Fedora
versions. You can always reinstall alsa-plugins-pulseaudio once you get the
sound working again.

You don't want to be trying to deal with multiple problems to get the sound
working, and pulseaudio appears to be causing problems for some. As an
example I have a usb midi keyboard, and on most new installs, whether Fedora,
or Debian, and due to the usb being started early in the boot sequence, my
usb midi keyboard is being set as card0. Now the midi keyboard is not a
soundcard, but is being detected as one, and consequently I have no sound.

I've learnt how to deal with this problem by setting indexing options
in /etc/modprobe.conf. Simply switching off the power to the midi keyboard
would have resolved the initial problem, and the Audigy2 soundblaster would
have been set as card0.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you remove pulseaudio out of the
equation, you are just dealing with getting the sound working, and not trying
to get the sound working along with pulseaudio, which may, or may not be
compounding the problem.

2¢ worth of perhaps nothing.

Nigel.