Re: Why are all multimedia producers packages missing?

lostson wrote:
On Sunday 09 December 2007 07:54:35 am David Boles wrote:
Nico Sabbi wrote:
Trying to install DVDstyler I realized that Fedora lacks
all multimedia packages able to produce content
such as: ffmpeg, mjpegtools, mpgtx, dvdstyler, qdvdauthor, avidemux
and many more, that is a shame.
Is it a deliberate choice?
Mandriva has all of them
And another round starts. <sigh>

From Fedora wiki - FAQ

Why doesn't Fedora include support for proprietary formats like MP3 or
MPEG?

http://tinyurl.com/2gvu5m
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-b04c931c017de3facba9c69207925234df3c
2232

--

  David

Fedora does not come with any proprietary codecs or formats, things like mp3 avi yadda yadda. If you want to use these I would suggest going to here
 http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

Getting the Fedora 8 repository Rpm and installing it then adding the things you need from there. For instance if using rythmbox or Exaile you will want to do a
 yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

or if you are using amarok
 yum install amarok-extras-nonfree

 It is entirely up to you .

also an addition to the above reply
here is the process how to download and install the livna repo
1)import the gpg keys

sudo <http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#sudo> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*

2)Download the repo link <http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm>
3)install the repo >> sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
4)get the GPG key sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna

source :http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#install

I think you should check out this site <http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html> first before installing any codecs randomly... also this link <http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f8-tips.php> might be helpful

Yes and fedora is completely free and that is what makes it so special....no copy protected stuff nothing..PURE FOSS PRODUCT..and inspite of all that the GUI is one of the best i guess initially even I faced these problems but the links i have given are enuf to install almost every codec & driver needed ....

Good Luck!