Re: Users and Groups

Ed Greshko:
> I guess what I don't understand is why nobody, at least I think nobody, (I
> had to read the archives since I filter out some cruft) simply answered the
> question.

Perhaps because how to use it is so bloody obvious that if a person
can't figure *that* out for themselves, why would you think that they
could understand any instructions you wrote about it?

How hard is it for some people to use a GUI?  It has buttons with labels
for what they do.  They often have pop-up extra hints, too.  There's
menus with choices of other things you can do.  They're called a menu
for a reason:  Just like you have a menu in a restaurant, it's a list of
things that you READ through to find out what your choices are.

How hard was it, in this case, to look through the few menu choices
available, find the one called preferences, and see the few choices that
had with one right at the top about hiding some users?

There's even a whacking great big help button which opens documentation
explaining all of this.  The original poster already had all the answers
that they needed provided to them.

> "User Manager" is working as designed and intended.

Exactly.

What I found most staggering about Karl's post was that he went so far
as rebooting to see changes.  When I untick the "hide" option, the other
users appear immediately on the list.  Why would you reboot?

Even if "rebooted the thing" referred to restarting the program rather
than the computer (a poor description of an action, really, by the
original poster), why bother?  You can see the list change, immediately,
as you change the preferences.

There are some programs which are highly complex to make use of, but
this particular one is incredibly simple to figure out, at least for the
issues Karl was dealing with.  You'd have to be a prize fool not to be
able to figure it out without a few moments looking at it, even more so
to post what he did about it.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.