Re: haldaemon problem

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 01:57 -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
On Dec 6, 2007 3:47 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon:                                       [FAILED]
Starting HAL daemon:                                       [FAILED]

Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon

This brings up nothing.

Thanks   david

Hi david walcroft!

To administrate, be root - become so "su".
su - would be better.

>From "man hald":

       subscribe.

       First,  to  obtain  useful debug traces you will need to have debuginfo
       packages installed. On a Fedora system this  is  in  the  hal-debuginfo
       package and can be installed via the yum update program.

       Second, shut down the existing hald daemon instance; on a Fedora system
       this is achieved by

       /etc/init.d/haldaemon stop

       After having shut down the daemon, you might want to run

       pkill hald

       to ensure that all the helper processe of hald are killed too. To start
       the HAL daemon, use

       /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes

       gdb /usr/sbin/hald

       and then typing

       run --daemon=no --verbose=yes

       at  the  (gdb)  prompt. To capture a back trace, use the bt command and
       attach this to the bug report.

       Please also attach the output of lshal(1) in the bug report if possible
       (it's  not  possible  if the hald daemon crashed). If the nature of the
       bug has to do with hotplugging, attach two outputs of  lshal(1)  -  one
       before the device hotplug event and one after.

SEE ALSO
       udev(7),  dbus-daemon(1),  lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-prop-
       erty(1),  hal-find-by-property(1),  hal-find-by-capability(1),  hal-is-
       caller-locked-out(1)

Have fun!

Tod

The descent to Hades is the same from every place. -- Anaxagoras

Yes I agree su - is best,but I don't have a hald to work on.
I seem to want the hald package,which one is it.

  david