Re: usbkeys with U3 and their removal?

John Wendel wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:38 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

[snip]

If you have comments or concerns, this is a link to the discussion forums on U3.
http://u3community.com/

In the "Wishlist", the request has been made for Linux support.

Just so I can understand what's going on here ...

Does "dd /dev/zero /dev/sdx" to the unmounted usb key followed by repartitioning / formatting work to remove this crap?

It would have to be "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1" and
I don't know if it'd work or not.  Unless there's some hardware flag
on the drive that turns the U3 portion into a read-only physical device
it should work.

Sorry 'bout the lazy "dd" command.

Yes, it would seem that it should work, but people are reporting that they had to get a "Windows using friend" to fix the thing. I don't have such a device, but I may in the future (and I don't do Windows), so I was curious.

Thanks!

John

I tried that on one of my SanDisk Cruzer the other night. I tried different versions of dd, even to the point of over writing the whole drive using dd.

From what I could find, the partition that is uses is a read-only partition and is hardware controlled. Some code in the removal software must turn this on/off. I know that the windows software writes directly to the video driver and won't work with dual display monitors.

--
Robin Laing