Re: usbkeys with U3 and their removal?

Robin Laing wrote:

Thinking about it last night, I figured out this is the cause of my daughters headaches. The stick mounts two drives in Windows, Macs as well as Linux. If you want to safely remove a drive, you have to remove two devices. This happened with the IT person yesterday.

I have a Sandisk Cruiser, and my memory's fairly fresh:-)

Yesterday I plugged it into a Windows 2003 Server box; for this purpose it's near enough Windows XP.

It created the two devices, I copied my file to the USB disk part.

I then located the "safely remove" icon, and was presented with a list of devices to remove (there were all the Sandisk). I chose the top one, "USB Storage" as I recall. That one selection removed all the devices.

Also, found this out this morning. If you erase the partition that you have access to, the launchpad software pukes. It won't run and thus saves your Windows friend from getting bits of the "spyware" software on their system.

For those that don't know, here is the pusher of this spyware or root kit software. I have read a few articles about installing key grabber software on the U3 partition and using in a public computer.

I think autorun is inherently bad. No, not "bad" "Evil" is a better work.
In "group policy" one can turn autorun off for all devices.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait