RE: Best way to copy /usr to different partition?

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:31 PM
>To: Fedora-List (E-mail)
>Subject: Best way to copy /usr to different partition?
>
>I was getting dangerously close to running out of disk space
>since /usr was filling up fast.
>
>I thought it was simple to tar-copy /usr to a different drive/partiton
>using tar copy such as:
>
>(cd /usr; tar cpf - .) | (cd /newpartition; tar xpf -)
>
>I tar copied the contents of /usr into my new drive/partition
>and I changed the partition label to /usr, updated my
>/etc/fstab file, renamed my /usr to /usr-b, created
>an empty directory /usr, chmod it to 775, mounted
>/usr - and it all looked fine.  I then unmounted /usr,
>and then rebooted.
>
>The reboot reported that there was a problem with
>the two library files: somelibfile.so.1 and somelibfile.so.2
>and then gnome came up with user/password screen.
>
>I logged in as a normal user, and after that point, I a
>black screen came up with the gnome-X-cursor and
>then stopped.  Nothing worked at this point.
>
>I then rebooted using rescue CD, and examined the
>messages log file and it appears that selinux reported
>all sorts of AVC denied over /usr and other non-system
>mounted filesystems.
>
>Clearly, it seems that selinux is having problems.
>
>I suppose I can reboot setting the selinux = 0 and then
>begin the task of somehow repairing selinux tags in all
>of my files?  Does this make any sense?
>
>Anyone have a better solution?
>
>I could reverse the /usr process and get rename /usr-b
>and comment out the /usr from my fstab, but I wanted
>some input from member in this forum before attempting
>to do that - I would end up back to my original disk-space
>problem.
>
>Any advice?

Ok, I have booted into rescue CD, and performed these steps:

1) (cd /usr-b; tar -cp --xattrs -f - .) | (cd /usr; tar -xp -xattrs -f -)
2) touch /.relabel
3) reboot

And I was able to get back into GDM and to log in as a normal
user using the login screen, however the boot processes did
report errors and the messages log as well:

1)  restorecond: Will not restore a file with more than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf)
2)  SELINUX: avc denied {search } comm="ifconfig" name="lib"   (7 times)
3)  SELINUX: avc denied {read}    comm="mount"    name="locale-archive"
4)  SELINUX: avc denied {read}    comm="mount"    name="locale-alias"
5)  SELINUX: avc denied {search}  comm="dmesg"    name="lib"   (7 times)
6)  SELINUX: avc denied {search}  comm="dmesg"    name="share"
7)  SELINUX: avc denied {search}  comm="kudzu"    name="lib"   (7 times)
8)  SELINUX: avc denied {search}  comm="kudzu"    name="share" (5 times)
9)  SELINUX: avc denied {search}  comm="arping"   name="lib"   (16 times)
10) SELINUX: avc denied {getattr} comm="arping"   name="/usr/lib"
11) arping: libsysfs.so.1 and libsysfs.so.2

Note: most of these files have default_t assigned to these files... and
it says that for "arping", it needs to have netutils_t assigned.

It seems to me, that the only files I need to worry about are the above
libsysfs.so.1/2 needs to be relabeled and I am not sure what to do about
the /etc/resolv.conf file.

Can anyone advise what I can do at this point?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.