Re: usbkeys with U3 and their removal?

John Summerfield wrote, On 12/07/2007 03:15 AM:
John Wendel wrote:

Sorry 'bout the lazy "dd" command.

Yes, it would seem that it should work, but people are reporting that they had to get a "Windows using friend" to fix the thing. I don't have such a device, but I may in the future (and I don't do Windows), so I was curious.

My Sandisk is 4 Gbytes. The small amount of space (43 Mbytes as best I can tell) it consumes doesn't bother me, so I'm happy to leave it.

It really doesn't cause any other problems.

One thing that dd does not get rid of is the effect of the stick presenting itself as two devices [~4GB usbdisk & a rewritable CD]. using a windows uninstall program gets rid of that annoyance as well. The 'CD' emulation tends to leave stray cdrom's on the gnome desk top, and AFAIK you can't access the 'CD' under Linux anyway. My experience was with several SanDisk 4.0GB Titanium cruzers, and a couple of the plastic ones.

BTW does Linux support (in the kernel) the ability to turn the power off to a usb device? That is, it would be nice if `eject /media/usbdisk/` would also power off the device (assuming the device is not self powered) when it is ejected.

--
Todd Denniston