Re: openldap: SASL and/or TLS?

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 00:44 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >> What exactly is the relation between SASL and TLS?
> >> Are they alternative methods of authentication,
> >> or are they complementary in some way?
> >>
> >> Presently I'm just using TLS.
> >>
> >> Any illumination gratefully received.
> > ----
> > TLS is encryption method
> > SASL is an authentication method
>
> OK, thanks for responding yet again.
> You've said that before,
> but it seems to me that encryption necessarily involves,
> or requires, authentication.
>
> > with reference to all recent Fedora versions (6/7/8), the openldap admin
> > guide is here...
> >
> > http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/
>
> I have been looking at that.
> But I'll study it further.
>
> > or more specifically (SASL)
> > http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/sasl.html
> > OpenLDAP clients and servers are capable of authenticating via the
> > Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) framework, which is
> > detailed in RFC2222. This chapter describes how to make use of SASL in
> > OpenLDAP.
>
> Yes, I did see that.
> But it wasn't clear to me if the openldap user
> was actually being advised to use SASL.
> As a matter of interest, do you advise it?
>
> > and here...
> > http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/tls.html
> > OpenLDAP clients and servers are capable of using the Transport Layer
> > Security (TLS) framework to provide integrity and confidentiality
> > protections and to support LDAP authentication using the SASL EXTERNAL
> > mechanism.
>
> So it seems that this document at least
> recommends the use of SASL + TLS?
----
I think my first answer was to just use SSL (even though it is
supposedly deprecated) and be done with it.

I don't use SASL configuration as it has a level of complexity that
seems unnecessary. My only issue was to use encryption so as to not send
users/passwords over the LAN unencrypted and both SSL and TLS can do
that without much effort.

Craig