Re: [OT] Is Rawhide usable for day-to-day operation - reply when you've time, no hurry

Arijit Sarkar wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Fedora is more like Debian's testing, or Ubuntu's mainline. I run it on a separate system, where I want to play with the latest technology. The pooter has hardware virtualisation, and I use Xen.

Yes, this seems a good solution. I have to make some free space on my desktop and use Fedora with 'testing' repository enabled. Is it okay to mix up both fedora-stable and testing softwares together?
In fact, packages that are released to the testing repo are potential stable updates. Packages usually {except security fixes} normally spend a couple of weeks in testing so that members of the fedora testing community may use the package - hopefully finding any issues - and reporting the issues in bugzilla. In that case the test update may be canned, and a new test update built.

On the other hand if there is positive comment and no problems noticed on the test package, it will be requested to be placed in the normal fedora-updates repo. The only difference between the two packages is in the rpm signature that is applied to the package; hence you don't need to {and couldn't easily} update your testing package to stable because it is the identical version-release as from testing.

It is a good idea to subscribe to the fedora-test-list to see the Fedora X Test Update announcements, and comments - so that you might see issues that others have already brought up.

DaveT.