Re: Preferred Architecture for Centrino Core Duo

John Summerfield wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Zhukov Pavel wrote:
On Dec 3, 2007 5:50 PM, Jeremy Nix <Jeremy.Nix@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino
Core Duo processors.
Core Duo it's a x86 processor. it doesn't support x86_64.

Core 2 Duo it's a x86_64 and support 64bit technology.

My lappie has a Centrino Duo sticker on it, and was very happy running
the F8 X86_64 live DVD, so I would assume that your blanket statement
above needs some tweaking.  Some Core Duo CPUs *are* 64-bit capable.

Anyone who cares should check www.intel.com. It's what I did before buying (I wanted virtualisation support).

And even then, the CPU can support virtualization and the BIOS doesn't.

For example, DELL has their own BIOS. That BIOS may allow virtualization on some intel CPUs. It does not allow it on any AMD CPUs.

For example, my company is a DELL shop. (Not by my doing in any way)
My group has 4 DELL Inspiron 9400's. All were purchased in a relatively short time period.
All Have the same BIOS version.
All have the same CPU model and part number.
3 of the four have the Virtual option in the BIOS. :(

We have several new AMD based Optiplex 740 systems.
All of them show the svm CPU flag.
None of them show the Virtual option in the BIOS.
All of them will run the kvm-amd module as shipped from the factory, however it crashes when used. All of the 740s report "Virtualization not supported in BIOS" and refuse to run the kvm-amd module, AFTER the BIOS is set to factory defaults.

So it is still a 'buyer beware' market for virtualization.

DELL is totally unresponsive on this issue. We have the best support contracts possible from DELL, and got "None of our engineers know anything about that".

Good Luck!