Preferred Architecture for Centrino Core Duo

I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2 that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino Core Duo processors. In prior versions, I have been running the i686 architecture, so I am curious as to what the benefits would be in switching to a 64 bit architecture when my processor is a 32bit dual-core. Can somebody explain this to me, as the documentation does not really outline the benefits or reasons to switch to the 64 bit architecture.

Thanks in advance.

--

Jeremy Nix