Re: partition size questions

Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Folks,

I have come across a problem relating to partitions.  I have a multi
boot box with Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 8 and Win 2K. There is also a very large unallocated section of disk space.
The two linux partitions are sitting together on an extended partition
and I would like to make each smaller.  None of the partition managers
would allow me to shrink the partitions.

You don't mention which partition managers you tried. Did you try booting with a liveCD and running gparted? I'm not a huge fan of GUI management tools, but I do like gparted. I've had good luck with it on a number of systems, including windoze... but the filesystem under change must *not* be mounted or all kinds of grief can ensue. Booting from the liveCD ensures the hardisk partions you are modifying will not be mounted. ...and, as always, *backup* before you start!

--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign