Re: Looking to upgrade to Fedora 8

Kam Leo wrote:
On Dec 2, 2007 7:48 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running Fedora 6. I'm planning to upgrade my Dell D800
laptop to Fedora 8 during my Christmas holidays (fresh install).  I'm
going to keep /home and /usr/local (i.e. not format them) during
install).

I'm fairly sure everything should just work afterwards, but I'm
wondering how VMware Server will hold up.  Will I be able to install it
ok on Fedora 8 and run my virtual machines (saved in my home folder)?

Has anyone had any problems with Evolution after moving to Fedora 8?
Since I'm not formatting /home, Evolution should see my previous config
and run accordingly.

Any other hangups?  I haven't seen anything major reported on this list,
which bodes well for me!

Regards,

Ranbir

Do your homework before upgrading. Review FC6 to F7 and F7 to F8
Release Notes for requirements and recommendations. For example, all
disk partitions must be labeled.

I would recommend that you back up your home directory and do a complete fresh install of F8. Then you can copy over things from your home dir one at a time to make sure everything works.

Greg Sieranski