Re: Stoopid but pressing backup question

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:15 +0100, craigni wrote:
>> Thanks to all who answered my access F7 from F8 system question.
>> Unfortunately, since I am in the habit of unplugging all of my drives
>> but one to fresh install an OS, I don't think I can access the systems
>> from one another.  But the responses were highly informative.
>>
>> Here's the question I must ask (and I cringe while I do, because I've
>> been searching the web for weeks for a good response, and really have
>> not come up with something yet, yet feel that I should have.)
>>
>> I want to back up my F8 system so restoring it will be as easy as
>> possible in the event of a major system screw up (which over the years,
>> I have done many times.)  I do not want to use a commercial product on
>> the Linux side. I've been using dump/restore, which does not work well
>> for a full system restore.  In my searches on the web over the last
>> couple of weeks, I read that dump was deprecated, and why.  But in the
>> past, when I tried to use a simple tar, I haven't had luck in restoring
>> the entire system.  So here are my questions:
>>
>> 1. Does anyone have a good script that backs up a F8 (I would think F7
>> would be highly similar here) system so that a *full system restore* is
>> relatively straightforward?
>>
>> 2. Can you access individual files in it as you would restore -if ?
>>
>> 3. Would the strategy of the restore be something like boot from the
>> rescue disk, change to the system disk, and then tar -xf ... ?
>>
>> 4. What exactly *are* the root directories that must be backed up?  If
>> SELinux was set to enforcing, would it conflict with the restore?
>>
>> Thanks for entertaining this very stoopid question.  I just don't have
>> a good simple way to back up and restore my Linux systems, and it is
>> the last remaining obstacle to pretty much completely switching over to
>> Linux as my primary OS (except of course, the 10 minutes a day I need
>> to access iTunes, but that's another, and very annoying story.)
>
> It rather depends on what your backup media is.  I've used cpio
> successfully in the past.  Amanda is also popular and works.  Bacula
> (http://www.bacula.org/) is also very popular.

While this and other things, are rattling around in the OPs head, one should
also investigate and understand LVM snapshots.  From a HOWTO that outlined
the important bits....

"A wonderful facility provided by LVM is 'snapshots'. This allows the
administrator to create a new block device which presents an exact copy of a
logical volume, frozen at some point in time. Typically this would be used
when some batch processing, a backup for instance, needs to be performed on
the logical volume, but you don't want to halt a live system that is
changing the data."