Re: [F8] fingerprint scanner

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 21:25 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Odds on the shiny surfaces of the laptop will contain the fingerprint.
> I can also probably obtain all the data by moving the disk over or by
> isolating the reader by flashing a patched BIOS.

You raise a good point.  More recent fingerprint scanners are something
you wipe your finger across, rather than just press your finger against
it.  That stops someone from lifting a print directly from the scanner,
but they've still got the rest of the machine to look for one.  You'd
need to make the entire computer unreceptive to taking prints, and that
introduces a new factor - being much harder to identify laptop thieves,
should you ever manage to get one back.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386