Re: Installing F7/8 Live - GDM fails with old cirrus card (GD5480)

On Dec 1, 2007 3:01 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bummer...
>
> At least with FC4/5, I was able to install install the OS with GDM
> working, but with F7/8 Live support, it seems that my old Cirrus
> Logic GD5480 crapped out.  Yeah I know, I am an oldie here but
> never mind that.  Look - there is a pretty girl over there (points the
> finger away from self)....  Ah, now let's continue shall we? ;-)
>
> Well...
>
> When I ran the F8 Live, the GDM failed to start up - it never got
> that far at all - just flashed several times - I get it, time to Alt-F1,
> log in as root, and edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
>
> At least there was the cirrus entry, so it is recognized...
>
>         [...]
>
>         Section "Device"
>                 Identifier      "Screen0"
>                 Driver          "cirrus"
>         EndSection
>
>         Section "Screen0"
>                 Device          "Videocard0"
>                 DefaultDepth    24
>         EndSection
>
> Ah, DefaultDepth 24!?!? I guess you need to have the latest newfangled
> videocards these days, or a newer computer than the one you had purchased
> many years ago.  Sheesh, I must be getting really old...
>
> Anyway, I updated the xorg.conf file as follows:
>
>         [...]
>
>         Section "Screen0"
>                 Device          "Videocard0"
>                 DefaultDepth    16
>                 SubSection      "Display"
>                         Viewport        0 0
>                         Depth           16
>                         Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480
>                 EndSubSection
>         EndSection
>

> Yup! That seemed to do the trick.  I am able to get a sensible gui now and can get
> back to installing F8.  Note, I was forced to provide the Modes as above otherwise
> xorg takes the highest default resolution (over that of 1024x768 somewhere) and
> restarts over and over till it gives up.
>
> But here is a question for you (xorg) developer folks...  why is it that the videocards
> are not searching for a resolution that works, i.e. should go all the way down to
> 1024x768, 800x600 or even 640x480 so that GUI screen can appear?
>
> Bummer.

You're addressing the wrong crowd. Address your missive to the XORG
developers. You do realize (maybe not) that laptops are out selling
desktops. In a few more years none of the new developers will have
touched a video card/adapter/chipset made by any one other than
Nvidia, AMD, or Intel.