Re: OT: USB<->Ethernet printer server for router

Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Saturday 01 December 2007 04:56:06 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Thanks. Now I don't have to dig up a long USB cable or move the MFD
>> to test it myself. One reason I picked a network printer was because
>> there was not room near the computer for it.
>>

> it's a little pricey, but depending on how your place is wired, you could try
> the
>
> XTENDEX® USB-C5-LC
> http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html
>
> i use two of these and it's the same as having things connected locally. works
> with my scanner too.

Thats OK. The Brother MFC-7820N works well for me. I can manage it,
print to it, or scan from it, from any computer on the local
network. My Linux boxes find it automatically, and setting up and XP
machine to use it, wile a bit more work, is still easy. (CUPS has
the print drivers for it.) Given a choice, I prefer to use a network
printer, or a printer connected to a print server over a directly
connected printer. I have had too many occasions where someone
suddenly remember something they needed to print while I was in the
middle of an upgrade. It usually happens when I have the system torn
apart on my workbench, or 15 minutes into a version upgrade. This
way, they can print from their system directly to the printer.

Mikkel