Re: Removing locales

Abhijit Shylanath wrote:
How can I remove the locales in /usr/share/locales. This uses 300++ M of
my disk and I do not need it.

I was just about to post the same question. On Fedora 8 (64-bit), my
locale directory is 505 MiB. Do I have to maintain the directory for
compatibility reasons?

Matthieu, Abhijit:

If you like, you can rename the bits that you think you don't need {just in case they are}. In fact I erased mine except for .../en* parts and had no troubles {only had a 1.5GB disk on that machine and 400MB wasted is well... a waste}, in F7 test timeframe.

$ du -sc /usr/share/locale/*
shows many empty folders - which wont really take much space.

$ rpm -qf  /usr/share/locale/zu/
filesystem-2.4.6-1.fc7

The contents are provided by:
$rpm -qf  /usr/share/locale/zh_TW
filesystem-2.4.6-1.fc7
glibc-common-2.6-4

If the folders are renamed or removed, then tests like:
$ rpm -V glibc-common filesystem
will report missing files.

In fact I suggested in fedora-devel the possibility of splitting up glibc-common in various ways, and it was suggested that:
- it would be a lot of work to do and maintain
- that you can choose to rpm install stuff without documentation.

summarized:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue91#head-ce92d2e708b4bfabf99accc5c34b7a8fc3142e79

DaveT.