Re: Access external Fedora filesystem

Duane Clark wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> The problem is probably that sdc2 is an LVM volume, os it is a
>> little harder to mount. Probably the easiest way is to look at
>> /etc/fstab on F7, and copy the entry for /, changing / to match the
>> desired mount point.For example, if fstab has:
>>
>> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /        ext3    defaults        1 1
>>
>> you would want to do something like:
>>
>> mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/test.
>
> Unfortunately, the F8 system is probably also LVM, and by default it
> also is named VolGroup00/LogVol00. When you boot the system, immediately
> after booting starts, check whether it prints a message about LVM
> finding VolGroup00 twice. If so, then both disks are using the same LVM
> names, and that mount command will not work.
>
> I am unaware of a method that will allow you to mount two LVM
> filesystems with the same names. As far as I know, you would have to
> rename one of them. I really don't understand why the installation
> doesn't make the two numbers random (so you would get, say, VolGroup75)
> rather than always "00". That would eliminate this particular problem.

I could be wrong, but I believe that if you already have a
VolGroup00 and are not overwriting it, then the installer will use
Volgroup01 for the new install, as long as both drives are in the
system when it does the install. Then again, when I did the install
of F7 to my USB drive, I did not use the defaults because I wanted
to be able to boot from it any any system, regardless of what was
installed there. (It makes a nice rescue system.)

Mikkel