Re: Access external Fedora filesystem

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
The problem is probably that sdc2 is an LVM volume, os it is a
little harder to mount. Probably the easiest way is to look at
/etc/fstab on F7, and copy the entry for /, changing / to match the
desired mount point.For example, if fstab has:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /        ext3    defaults        1 1

you would want to do something like:

mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/test.

Unfortunately, the F8 system is probably also LVM, and by default it also is named VolGroup00/LogVol00. When you boot the system, immediately after booting starts, check whether it prints a message about LVM finding VolGroup00 twice. If so, then both disks are using the same LVM names, and that mount command will not work.

I am unaware of a method that will allow you to mount two LVM filesystems with the same names. As far as I know, you would have to rename one of them. I really don't understand why the installation doesn't make the two numbers random (so you would get, say, VolGroup75) rather than always "00". That would eliminate this particular problem.