Re: Fedora vs Ububtu

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 07:01:57AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> It gets sort of tiring to make unfaltering (to Fedora) comparisons to
> Ubunbtu get rather tiring. There are advantages and disadvantages to
> both systems. The fact that apt and synaptic are available in Fedora
> makes the pup vs update manager debate sort of silly.
>
> One gaping hole in the Ubuntu is how to do the equivalent of adding a
> repository. How for example would you add the equivalent of the Dell
> repository to Ubuntu. It is not at all clear, at least to me.
> I am willing to learn if someone is willing to explain. In Ubuntu two
> conflicting procedures are presented.

It isn't always easy to find out how to do something in Ubuntu, but
the same complaint applies to Fedora and, I expect, to most other OSs.

Here's what I do: add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list. E.g, for
skype,com:

deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

(http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/repositories.html)

Since I run apt-cache, I point to the apt-cache server, like so:

deb http://phoenix.localdomain:3142/download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

(Isn't it neat: you can get support for Ubuntu on a Fedora list!)