Re: broken yum after latest yum update

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On 30/11/2007, Konstantin Svist  wrote:
Okay, I'll try reinstalling the python-libs package.
According to rpm -q, the file is owned by "python-2.5.1.." package -
which is why I tried reinstalling that one, instead.

You're misinterpreting the error message.

cPickle.so is included within the "python" package, but depends on
symbols in libpython in /usr/lib, which is found in the "python-libs"
package. It's important that you don't disturb this inter-library
dependency when installing into /usr/local/lib.

Well, that didn't work either - guess I f'ed it up pretty badly.
So far, I backed up /usr/lib/python-2.5 and overwrote cPickle.so from /usr/local/... - yum stopped complaining about cPickle, but started complaining about other libraries. After copying a few of those over as well, it's now complaining about not being able to import sqlite (which is weird, because it seems that python-sqlite2 package wasn't installed in the first place)

I'll probably end up copying /usr/lib/python from a clean F8 system... but I would really rather find the real cause of the problem and fix that, instead.

By the way, the .so files had file creation date of Oct 30th - so it doesn't look like they've been replaced... weird. I have noatime turned on, but that shouldn't affect creation dates, right?