broken yum after latest yum update

After updating my F8 install with "yum update" I can't run yum anymore.
Here's the error I get:

"""
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

  /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/cPickle.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeRawUnicodeEscape

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.5 (trunk, Nov 28 2007, 11:58:41)
[GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
 http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
"""

It doesn't look like anyone else has this problem (or I would've seen other reports..)

Running python in command line and importing cPickle doesn't work (same/similar error).
I've tried reinstalling python from fedora rpm (same version) - to no avail.

SELinux is running in permissive mode (meaning it should not have blocked anything while I was performing the yum update). There *was* some error/warning message in yum - something to do with some selinux flag no longer being used, but that's all.

Another clue: I've installed a self-compiled python in /usr/local. However, I was careful to not make it conflict with the built-in version: I used the configure option to give the executable a suffix (so the executable has to be called as "python.foobar" instead of just "python"). I've verified that running the different python installs used different lib directories (so that should not have been a problem.)

I've also tried running my custom python and importing cPickle - that works without a problem.

Any ideas?
I guess I could just replace cPickle.so with the custom-built one, but I'm not sure that's the best course of action... Will it even be compatible? I probably used compile flags different from default.