Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

Mark wrote:
> Hey,
>
> i was just looking through the system monitor to see how my memory
> usage was doing and that gave me a impressive (negative way) result.
> I've made a screenshot [1] of it and edited it a little. The color
> that i added in mean:
>
> - darkred : extreme memory usage for..?? nothing?
> - red : gnome-panel related things (applets mostly)
> - orange : first applet UNDER one MB.
>
> Now if you take a look at the image you see that my current gnome
> session is taking up:
> 4.9 MB (gnome-panel)
> 3.5 MB (mixer_applet2)
> 3.0 MB (wnck-applet)
> 2.3 MB (nm-applet)
> 1.2 MB (notification-area-applet)
> 1.1 MB (gnome-volume-manager)
> 0.7 MB (bluetooth-applet)
>
> Totals to: 17.7 MB
> That is only the gnome-panel stuff with it's applets. if you are gonna
> take into account the stuff that is needed to run the applets (like
> python) than it will likely use a lot more but since those a can be
> used with other applications as well i will leave that out of it.
>
> Now there are still 3 more left in the list i highlighted.
> 1. Nautilus
> Oke.. this one is bothering me. at the time that i shot the screenshot
> nautilus was not open (at least not the file browser) and than it's
> taking up that much memory! that's just overkill!
>
> 2. gnome-settings-daemon
> Why does this need to run? what's the purpose of it? If it's just
> running for other programs to grab gnome settings (wild guess) than
> it's using up way to much RAM anyway. otherwise it has to go.
>
> 3. puplet
> Someone said this was efficient in Fedora 8.. doesn't look like it. (8 MB).
>
> Now the notebook i'm typing this on has 1GB om memory and runs Fedora
> fine so if i look at it that way than the ram usage is fine. but keep
> in mind the people with less memory (256 or 512 MB's) they are gonna
> get a hard time with this fedora. My total memory usage at the time of
> this writing is: 432.00 MB (with GIMP on.. if that's closed than it's
> "just" 400 MB).
>
> What i'm trying to say here is that those gnome-panel applets are
> taking up way to much memory regardless of the memory you can afford
> or have in your computer. It should just be as fast and small as
> possible with all the needed functions. 3.5 MB for the mixer applet
> (which doesn't even support pulseaudio streams and is really basic!)
> is just overkill (btw it's taking up 4.6 MB now). Perhaps all those
> applets need to be checked on memory usage? or a completely new
> gnome-panel + applets that just take up a few MB in total (instead of
> 17.7). Gnome and Fedora are currently looking fine the way they are.
> so perhaps it's time to stop spending time on features for a while (2
> releases? till Fedora 10?) and start spending all time/money/efforts
> on performance  memory usage and usability.

> [...]
Well, it might seem a lot, but your memory still has enough room left.
You say it has 432 mb free, but on my system it usually has like 15 mb
free (even on 2GB systems). This is not because Fedora takes up so much
memory, but because files are being cached in memory. If the need arises
that programs need more
memory, it will free up this space, and allow programs to take it up.

I'd double check "free" again, and look at the amount that cache is
taking up.