Re: Serial Port Bug?

David Timms wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Wanting a way to test the serial port I recalled minicom and after getting it set up on /dev/ttyS0 it seems happy with Com 1. The old /dev/modem is gone on F7. But now what is a way to drive the serial port pins to a constant plus voltage with minicom?

In minicom it can help {and if only using a 3 wire cable be required} to disable the setting where it looks for HW handshaking from the remote device:
| A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyS1
| B - Lockfile Location     : /var/lock
| E - Bps/Par/Bits : 9600 8N1 | F - Hardware Flow Control : No
| G - Software Flow Control : No

If you are using a cable with more than 3 wires, you might need to check that the DTR, DSR lines a wired up appropriately - ie that the remote device is not incorrectly telling your computer that it is not ready.

A simple trick is to connect pins 2 and 3 {transmit and receive} directly on your serial port, and see if you get characters typed echoed back ?

DaveT.

Excellent Dave! I have an extension cable on the serial port so that will be easy :-)

Get back to with results soon.

The results are with pin 2 and 3 shorted together minicom still did not print what I pressed. I turned on local echo and I see what I type but with the pin 2 and 3 shorted I still get just one letter.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User