Re: OT: are usb flash drives suitable archival media?

Kam Leo wrote:
On Nov 27, 2007 3:56 PM, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kam Leo wrote:

--
Robin Laing
Use DVD-R or DVD+R media. I would not recommend using DVD+WR media.

You're supposed to be able to use DVD+WR as a DVD-ROM. Well, long
story short, a DVD-ROM disc created on DVD+RW media 6 months ago is
totally unreadable. I tried reading the data using 4 different drives.
None of the drives could detect that media was in the drive. There is
probably something wrong with the burner I'm using. It is also causing
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If so, nothing else is relevant.
4X CD-RW media to become coasters after an erasing operation.

Nothing here suggests to me you'd have done better with write-once media.

You should verify important backups immediately.

The data passed verification when burned and was readable on the drive
of another computer. Only months later when I tried reading the data
did I discover the disc had become unreadable. By the way, 4X-12X
CD-RW media appears to be erasable/reusable on the suspect drive. I'll
have to search through my stack of backups to see if any were created
on that drive and if the data is still readable.

The next thing is handling; DVD media are more fragile than CD media.

www.digitalfaq.com has vital information on things DVD.
www.cdrfaw.org has answers essential questions such as "what happens if I microwave a CD?" (it advises using someone else's oven to test this).

beware, there's hours of reading fun to be had;-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait