Re: OT: are usb flash drives suitable archival media?

On Nov 27, 2007 1:45 PM, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Dave Stevens wrote:
> >> your thought? tests? reviews?
> >>
> > Since you ask, my current choice is DVD, using the dvdisaster system of
> > software assisted error recovery. Nothing is perfect, but a verified DVD
> > with software error recovery assist and good storage procedures is about
> > is cost effective as anything you would get on a flash drive, and a hell
> > of a lot less likely to be accidentally overwritten.
> >
> > *Note*: unless a copy is stored off-site, it's not a backup it's an
> > archive. Think fire, flood, theft, untrusted employee, idiot relative, etc.
> >

> For archival, DVD is cost effective.  Flash drives are not.
>
> I have just had my second flash drive fail on me.  I was lucky enough to
> be able to mount it on one computer and only one port on that computer
> would allow it to be mounted.
>
> I wouldn't trust any flash drive at this time.
>
> I would purchase a HD and use that.  Of course, hard drives will fail if
> they are not run up regularly.
>
> My preferred method is to create the backup and then create par2 files
> for recovery.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

Use DVD-R or DVD+R media. I would not recommend using DVD+WR media.

You're supposed to be able to use DVD+WR as a DVD-ROM. Well, long
story short, a DVD-ROM disc created on DVD+RW media 6 months ago is
totally unreadable. I tried reading the data using 4 different drives.
None of the drives could detect that media was in the drive. There is
probably something wrong with the burner I'm using. It is also causing
4X CD-RW media to become coasters after an erasing operation.