Re: Fedora 8 runlevel 3

Rick Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 15:16 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 01:43 +0530, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
Bill Geng wrote:
I just installed Fedora 8 on my desktop computer. My computer gets an
IP address from my router which runs a DHCP server. It works at
runlevel 5. I can access the Internet. After I changed the default
runlevel from 5 to 3, my network interface cannot be bring up
automatically. I have to run "ifup eth0" manually to get an IP
address. Anyone can help me out.
I've had this problem too for one of my servers that runs nessus on Fedora8. I solved it by stopping the NetworkManager service and starting the "network" service.

# chkconfig NetworkManager off
# chkconfig network on
# service NetworkManager stop
# service network start

Or to be more specific NetworkManager does not work at run level 3.

The best solution is:

	# chkconfig --level 5 NetworkManager on
	# chkconfig --level 5 network off
	# chkconfig --level 23 network on
	# chkconfig --level 23 NetworkManager off

That way NetworkManager runs at level 5 (GUI) and network won't, and
network runs at levels 2 and 3 and NetworkManager won't.

I'm not sure that's best; I generally boot to rl3 then maybe change to 5. I don't know the consequences of that setup for me. NetworkManager might be better for mobile users, but if you're affixed to a desk, what works at rl3 should work equally well at rl5.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait